Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What is Faith?

Webster defines faith as belief, trust, and confidence
If we consider faith, or belief, from a medical, nonreligious point of view, we see overwhelming evidence that our beliefs can affect our health.
Dr. Herbert Benson established the medical importance of our beliefs, stating in his book, Timeless Healing, “Our brains are wired for beliefs and expectancies. When activated, the body can respond as it would if the belief were a reality, producing deafness or thirst, health or illness.”
If we believe that a certain pill will make us better, chances are good that it will, regardless of its ingredients; this is the “placebo effect”, which formed the basis for much of medical practice until the twentieth century
Effectiveness of many medical treatments depended upon the patients’ expectations of positive benefits
Such belief is an important form of faith, but it does not address the larger questions such as the meaning and purpose of life
People grapple with these questions largely through spirituality and religion, which can also significantly affect physical and mental health.
I personally have faith in God and I know that this is good for my health. If I need help phsically, emotionally, or spriritually I turn to my father in heaven for help and guidance. The knowledge of my Savior and his redeeming sacrifice has gotten me through hard times, has healed my body and my soul. I know it is because of the power of the priesthood that this was possible. But, if science needs to deem it the "placebo effect" in order to explain it, then that is fine by me.



No comments:

Post a Comment